Sunday, February 20, 2011

ReStore, ReUse, ReDecorate

I have been wanting to get to our local ReStore to find a project for the house. I finally managed to do this and came across three old single paned windows begging to come home with me. 

First a bit about ReStore:
It is managed by Habitat for Humanity of South Puget Sound who works in partnership with people in need to build and renovate decent, affordable housing. The houses then are sold to those in need at no profit and with no interest charged.
I met one of the families in my office the other day and ended up having a long conversation about the group and its success. The woman I spoke with had recently moved into her Habitat Home and was telling me that she was trying to raise her children, go to school for nursing and build the home. Each family is required to work on the house for several hours per week.What an amazing group of people. Thinking green, thinking both locally and globally for a greater good.
I have been looking for more ways to keep my purchasing power local.  I think this makes the cut.
You can visit at http://www.spshabitat.org/ for more details.
 Now for the transformation:
Three salvaged window panes, dirty and rusted (about 9.00 each)
















Needing some love


Taped off and painted with black latex paint




Mounting Hardware and some Tough Mounting Wire (around 6.00)


A little elbow grease to add the hardware
Finished Product hanging in the living room

No comments:

Post a Comment